What Is H.I.M.?
It began in 1999 as “Health in Motion,” a counseling ministry whose main emphasis was helping people suffering with depression, manic-depression, and anxiety. It was based on Isaiah 61 (Jesus healing the brokenhearted) and Proverbs 17:17 (befriending those in adversity). Today, the ministry continues to work with emotionally wounded people as an entry point into mentoring their inner person. The two aforementioned verses have been joined by Matthew 28:19 (making disciples), Ephesians 3:16-17 (the Holy Spirit strengthening the inner person), Isaiah 6:1-8 (God’s holiness touching the inner person) and John 15:8 (bearing much fruit, proving to be Jesus’ disciple). HELP! Someone I Love Is Depressed was written on this foundation.
Important things you need to know about this ministry:
- God (Father, Son, & Spirit) is its Founder. He found me (Greg Russ) and this ministry. I am a foundee working in His vineyard, comforting (2 Corinthians 1:3-7) and mentoring individuals who are hurting with a variety of issues.
- A combination of mentoring (discipling, spiritual direction, coaching, teaching, counseling…) approaches are used to help each person.
- The ministry’s focus is internal, restoring (Psalm 23:3) the inner man/woman through the power of the Holy Spirit, building spiritual (mental, emotional and physical) disciplines.
- Teaching the importance of engaging the spiritual disciplines on a daily basis, empowering the individual to serve Jesus in the here and now.
- The goal is to free the disciple to be strengthened in their weakness (2 Cor.12:9), experience Jesus in the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, (Philippians 3:10), and encourage intentional focus on God’s holiness and finishing well as a disciple of Jesus.